With an average daily high of 20 degrees Celsius, Melbourne is one of the best cities in the world to own a pool. The beautiful weather is the reason that over 10% of Australians have a pool in their backyard. Anyone that works in Melbourne home design and is involved in renovations in Melbourne knows the demand for swimming pools is high.
Are you looking into building a pool? There are a few key aspects to consider when it comes to building a pool on your property. What kind of builder are you going to hire to do the work? Are you going to collaborate with a home extension builder that is experienced in building home extensions for swimming pools? These questions and more must be answered before you can successfully begin your pool project.
5 Important Factors When Considering a Pool Installation
Adding a pool to your property is one of the most exciting home extension projects you can undertake. Getting all your questions answered and going with the right home extension builder will guarantee that you get the best home and pool renovations in Melbourne.
What are the factors that you should consider before getting a builder to your property to begin your home extension?
- What are the permits I will need? Permits are important and necessary when doing renovations in Melbourne. When it comes to building a pool, the Victorian Building Authority processes and hands out the necessary permits that your home extensions builder will need for your pool project. Regulations around the size, location and depths of any pools exist and need to be strictly followed. Pools over $16,000 will need a certificate of consent from the VBA. Builders involved in Melbourne home design and pool construction should be able to take care of the permit process for you as part of their services.
- What is my budget? Understanding your budgetary constraints is key to hiring the right builder and designing the right size pool. Since a home extension that includes a pool is one of the more expensive renovations you can undertake, it is important to be specific. Fiberglass pools can be anywhere from $25,000- $40,000 and concrete pools can be from $50,000 to well over $100,000.
- Should I go with fiberglass or concrete? The pool you build will be determined in part by your budget and in part by the building conditions on your property. Sandy soil or steep sloping properties will cost substantially more and may make the choice for you. Your home extension builder will have better options to design a custom shape pool if it is a concrete pool. If you choose to go with an above ground pool, fiberglass is likely the best material choice.
- How much lounging area will I need? This aspect is critical to decide in the development phase. If you build a pool but don’t account for space to lounge by the pool, you may find that you use your pool less because it is cumbersome to enjoy. Melbourne home design professionals will tell you that it is better to have a pool that is slightly smaller in size but has a larger lounging area for you and your guests.
- Can I operate the pool safely in my yard? Do you have a line of sight of the pool from inside the house? This is a crucial safety feature if you have children in the home. Will your pool need a cover? What kind of fence should you have around your property if you are building a pool in your backyard? These factors should be discussed with home extension builder when doing renovations in Melbourne.
Pool Projects in Melbourne
Adding a pool to your property is a great way to increase the value of your home. Choosing the right home extension builder is the most important step in the process. Duncan Thompson Extensions will collaborate with you in the design and planning stage and build you the pool and home extension you have been dreaming of.